Applications due Friday, May 28, 2021
The NAHRO Merit College Scholarship Program awards $1,000 each to eight scholars, one from each NAHRO region, who are pursuing their first post-secondary degree. Each NAHRO region submits an applicant of their choice from their own scholarship program. If no regional scholarship program is in place, the region will select one eligible applicant to complete the NAHRO Merit College Scholarship application. The regions’ scholarship applications then are judged by the NAHRO Scholarship Committee, which is comprised of Housing America Advisory Committee members.
From these eight scholarship winners, the NAHRO Scholarship Committee will choose three candidates to become a part of the NAHRO-LDG Scholars program, which is a 10-year venture that will provide $1 million in scholarships and internship opportunities to low-income students from around the country and is funded by the award-winning multi-family housing developer, LDG Development.
Of the eight regional winners, three candidates will be chosen by the NAHRO Scholarship Committee to be a part of the NAHRO-LDG Scholars program. NAHRO-LDG Scholars will receive:
- A $12,000 scholarship distributed over four years to assist with tuition and fees;
- $3,000 a year for up to three years, as a summer internship stipend;
- Networking opportunities with business and community leaders.
Scholarship funds for both NAHRO Merit College Scholarship winners and NAHRO-LDG Scholars are sent directly to the scholarship winner’s accredited institution of higher education once proof of registration is received.
Who Is Eligible?
1. Scholarship applications are only available to eligible member agencies. An eligible agency is a member agency in good standing with national NAHRO.
2. Eligible individuals are provided a service or live in a household managed by an eligible national NAHRO member agency.
3. Eligible individuals must be a graduating high school senior, possess a high school diploma or GED, and must be applying to or attending an accredited institution of higher education. If currently attending college, applicants must be registered for at least two (2) classes.
When Is the Application Deadline?
Applications due by Friday, May 28, 2021.
For Scholarship Applicant:
- Fill out and gather all required documents for the application (see checklist on page 1 of application). These are:
- a. Information form (page 4). This form must be reviewed and evaluated by a scholarship representative selected by the region. This could be the Regional or Vice President, RSO or another entity. To be considered complete, all sections of the application must be completed. If a section is not applicable, write N/A (not applicable) in the section; do not leave any sections blank. Any application that has blank sections, or that is missing appropriate submittals or signatures will be disqualified.
- b. Two letters of character recommendation. These can be recommendations from the local housing authority, community or religious organization, employer or academic reference. Letters of recommendation may not come from family members.
- c. An unofficial transcript from high school and/or the academic institution the applicant is currently attending (transcript may be forwarded separate from application but must be postmarked by deadline).
- d. Verification of acceptance/attendance at an accredited institution of higher education.
- e. An essay (750-1,000 words) written by the applicant. Please refer to the application for the essay prompt.
- f. A clear, high-resolution headshot photo of the applicant.
- Submit these materials to your housing authority, who will then forward them to the MAHRA representative.
2021 NAHRO Merit College Scholarship Instructions | 2021 NAHRO Merit College Scholarship Application